Thursday, December 6, 2012

Frugal Living: My Story



I was born in a family who’s not financially inclined, but I would say we were never deprived. Our parents made sure we get what we need, and some extra. They also did a great job in showing us how life is really like, and I am thankful they did! It has helped me a lot growing up and until now. We were raised in a way that we understand the value of life beyond the material things we can buy. This developed the frugality in me :)


Being the eldest daughter (we’re three beautiful gals), I have to always be resourceful so I can help my parents even in my small ways. I’ve set my goals straight as early as Elementary days and that is, to graduate in College no matter what and get a good paying job. Then help my parents. My father then was a tricycle driver and my mom is a house wife. We had our ups and most of the time our downs financially, I have witnessed and experienced how hard life is, but these were not reasons to give up. Our parents did everything they can and we should too. We were sent to public schools, but this is not a problem at all! We just studied hard and we were on the top section, I learned a lot too! I enjoyed High school a lot! We applied for scholarships in College and luckily, we finished College (me and my 2nd sis) without almost paying for our tuition fee. I usually have packed lunch then to save for the projects and some part time jobs too. It was an awesome College experience. I don’t always have money to buy stuff but I always find a way, I have to! These experiences led me to frugality. Well, I graduated in College and landed a job, but I still am frugal. It’s now a way of life than a necessity. :)


Some people perceives being frugal as being deprived, but I think it’s the other way around. Being frugal for me is being resourceful, careful, penny-wise. You can actually have the things you need without costing you a lot, if you just check carefully. It’s having a lot of options with limited resources. If you are frugal, you are most likely to learn how to make things than buy things and eventually even earn from it. Who say’s frugal can’t be trendy ? J. I make my own accessories (and sell accessories); I cut my own bangs haha, I repair my clothes, I love trift shops! (You can be your unique you J). I also cook what I want to eat (that’s cheaper that way). So I think deprived is far from being frugal. You don’t have to deprive yourself, you have a choice! Go first for the things you need. You don’t want to spend everything in one item, if you can get more than that. I have basically everything I need and I get to save. That is the best part.


Well, that is basically my story. I just wanted to write something about it since the blog is about cheap chatting. Haha. So long!

No comments:

Post a Comment